Scarperia is a medieval village that was built by the Florentine Republic on 8 September 1306, and may by all accounts be considered “the village of the knives”. From its earliest beginnings, this town has consistently shown its talent for the processing of cutting tools, and this ancient art form has made it famous throughout the world.
The origins of this tradition date back to the fifteenth century, when the first Master Cutlers published their Charter for safeguarding and organising the process of manufacturing knifes and the corresponding trade. The name is Lombard in origin, from scarp (deriving from the English word “sharp”) and refers to the centuries-old activities of fine cutlery.
The Saladini family has its roots as master cutlers in Scarperia as far back as 1841, as is testified by the historical archives of the parish church of Fagna. Leonardo Saladini was born in 1969, and in 1984 he embarked on his adventures as a cutler for his uncle Marcello Azzini’s company. Over time he would learn the methods and secrets of his art and in 1995 he felt experienced enough to start a business of his own. He opened his very own workshop, inspired by the dream of making his own exclusive and personalised line of knives.
In 2002, Giacomo Cecchi joined the Saladini, having completed his studies in architectural design and obtained the certificates of “Master Cutler” and “Artistic Metal Working”. Giacomo’s teachers and mentors were Marcello Azzini and Renzo Berti, two true master cutlers who both possess a sophisticated ingenuity and precision, and who know how to convey their craft and transform it into a passion. This collaboration was born out of a friendship with Leonardo Saladini, and Giacomo’s creativity has seen him design and produce new models, including a line of knives of his own.